Friday, December 23, 2011

Winter Hair Protection...

Winter Hair Protection….what is it and what are your options

During the Winter Months, your natural hair care routine may need to be altered to prepare for the cold, brutal winds and all types of scarves and hats that the season brings! As always, you must be gentle on your hair and pay extra attention to the harsh elements that winter brings!

  What Winter Brings
Cold Winds: Strong winds can tangle the hair and rob it of its moisture and makes is SUPER dry.  You will especially notice the changes in your hair during comb outs or detangling sessions   :::side note:::: I NEVER COMB MY HAIR WITH AN ACTUAL COMB!!! I only use my fingers, this decreases shedding and tension on the hair follicle and scalp…





Scarves and Hats:  Though stylish and warm, hair and neck accessories will often rub against your hair, causing frizz and breakage.  Fabric like wool will snag the hair and cause it to break.  I for one LOVE wearing hats and scarves in the winter months, they really allow me to JAZZ up any ‘ole outfit!!! What I do is place or sew a silk bonnet to the inside of my hat.  I can even condition by placing my favorite hair conditioner or oil in my hair then a plastic shower cap (or bag), then the bonnet and the hat over it!! I have an example of what I am talking about below!!



Heat from the office or home: Though the warm air will bring relief from the winter chill, it may not be relief for your natural tresses!  The heat will remove moisture from the air which will leave your hair thirsty! 

                                                 EASY SOLUTIONS
As I already mentioned above, wearing a silk bonnet, silk scarf or stocking cap will greatly reduce any friction that the hat bring as it rubs up against your hair.  It will also protect your hair by keeping your ends un-exposed to the harsh winter elements (your ends are the oldest and most fragile part of your hair).  You can also use this method to condition your hair.  All you have to do is place your favorite warm oil (:::side note:::warm open pores so that conditioner can touch the follicle, cold closes the follicle.  That is why you should always rinse your hair with cool water so that the follicle is closed and shedding is less)  or hair conditioner in your hair, place s hower cap or plastic bag over it, place the bonnet and then your hat.  I have worn this look for DAYS lol, especially when it is super cold and I have to trudge to work!  The result is shiny, conditioned hair days later! 

Purchase a humidifier for your home/office:  If your home or office becomes extremely warm in the winter months, it may be beneficial to purchase a humidifier.  It will keep the air moist and keep your hair and skin hydrated.

Don’t use SHAMPOO!!!:  Since I have become au natural, I have sworn off shampoo and it’s toxins!  I prefer to either use an all natural cleanser or wash my hair with conditioner.  Shampoo can often strip hair of its natural oils leaving the hair thirsty and dry. 




Protective hairstyles are AWESOME and keep your hair protected.  I have listed some options below. 

Bantu Knots: This style is simple.  I often used this style while I was transitioning.  You simply section the hair (the smaller the better I say) and start doing 2 strand twists, then take the completed twist and wrap the hair around itself, forming a small knot.  You can either rock this style as is, or sleep on it and take the twist down in the morning and fluff and be out the door.  (It is more of a protective style when the ends are hidden in the knot.  )

Braids:  Braids are a great alternative to keep the hair protected.  Personally, I do not put braids in my hair because I have always been tender headed and the tension proves to be to much for my scalp.  I have often lost a lot of hair when taking out braided styles.  If you choose to get micro braids or another popular braiding style, be wary of your edges!!!



Wigs:  Wigs are AWESOME!! Especially in the winter time (you won’t be hot!).  You can easily keep your hair moisturized by plaiting your hair (jumbo cornrows), placing your stocking over it then the wig and VIOLA! Instant hair!  There are also PLENTY of wigs that look all natural!  Wigs also allow you to change up your stlye whenever you want and can be inexpensive!!! (Taren916 on youtube does very good wig reviews! & yes! that is a WIG On her in the pic! )


Most importantly ladies, Do what works for your hair. You do not HAVE to change your routine if it is working for you. These are only suggestions, evaluate your hair as winter progresses and go from there....






                Happy Holidays all :) ~~Nickie

No comments:

Post a Comment