Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Wash-n-go's

     All• About WASH•N•GO’s
Happy Tuesday Everyone!!!! I hope everyone had a fabulous holiday (I know I did J).  The reason I wanted to write about wash-n-go’s is because I have FINALLY found the routine that gets my curls poppin and requires very little attention at night, or in the morning. 

To give you all a quick history::::   One of the main reasons I wanted to go natural was to have FABULOUS hair that required little attention.  The concept of Wash-n-go’s were magical to me. I often thought if only I was blessed with curly tresses, I wouldn’t have to deal with a burnt, sore scalp after a session with the Dominicans, having to wrap my hair at night only to struggle with a silk scarf that kept coming off, THEN struggle with the kinks that have escaped and needed to be flat ironed/blow dried in the morning…ONLY to have the WIND mess up my do while I was outside (OR GAWD FORBID THE RAIN)…It was a never ending struggle…


Just so you know what I am working with I have 3c/4a hair.  As mentioned in earlier blog entries, I transitioned for 8 months.  I mostly transitioned with weaves (for five months) and then with straw sets and bantu-twist outs (for three months), I BC’ED (big chopped) on 11-14-2011.  I didn’t measure my hair the day I chopped it, so I have included some pictures so you can have a guesstimate.  When I BC’ED on 11/14/11, the FIRST thing I attempted was a wash-n-go….EPIC FAIL.  I think my hair was still in shock of the drastic cut and was rebelling.  I had yet to discover the wonderful world of oils and natural products, or the routine that worked for me.  THIS is why I am simply ECSTATIC that I have mastered (somewhat) the wash-no-go for my hair.
With that said I dedicate this entry to my wash-n-go routine and attempt to answer the questions that I was bogged down with at first! I researched and youtubed others techniques for wash-n-go’s and saw what worked for them.  I then added or subtracted steps and VIOLA! here is my wash-n-go routine:

1.   The day before I am scheduled to cleanse my hair (I co-wash my hair once every 1-2 weeks, depending on product build up) I normally spray my hair with some distilled water/oil mixture and then massage some warm jojoba oil in my hair using an applicator bottle.  I give myself about a 2 minute massage making sure to tilt my hair backwards to get the blood circulating through the entire strand.  I then wrap my hair with saran wrap; and place both a shower cap and a plastic bag tied around my head.  LASTLY I place my stain bonnet over it.  I sleep with this through the night (make sure that you place a towel over your pillow) and half of the next day as I do my chores (this is normally taking place Saturday night into Sunday morning).  If I can stand it, or have no plans over the weekend, I will allow the oil to penetrate my hair until Monday morning. 


 2.   Once I am in the shower I allow warm water to rinse my hair.  I do not disturb my natural curl patters by scrubbing right away.  Once my hair is soaked I first apply some conditioner (I use suave, I have yet to try another one like Giovanni), to soften my hair (normally from ends to the root, with the ends being the oldest and most fragile part it should have moisturizer applied to it first).  I then cleanse my hair with a product that is much like WEN called Lisa Racheal (I have included a pic, $10.00 in most BS Stores).  I co-wash about three times.  The third time I leave some in and place a shower cap over my head and attend to other duties (You can combine with your fav DC). 

3.   After about 20 minutes or so, I wash out the Lisa Rachel and finger comb.  Do not be alarmed if there is shedding during this phase.  It is COMPLETLEY normal to shed about 100 strands of hair DAILY. 

4.   After the hair has been detangled, I place a hand full of the Lisa Rachels as a leave in, then place some conditioner in my hair to keep it moisturized and frizz free.  I have researched the effect leaving normal conditioner in your hair.  All sites and books that I have read/research actually ENCOURAGE curly girls to leave a little if not all conditioner in your hair! The conditioner will hydrate your hair.  Hydration is ESPECIALLY important for naturals, as it is NATURAL for our hair to be dry!

5.   This is where my routine may differ from others.  I choose NOT to apply my products while I am in the shower.  Since I wash-n-go before I hurry off to work, I have found that apply the product to dripping hair takes FOREVER to dry!  SO, after I have applied the conditioner and WEN in my hair as a leave in I shake my head in the shower to get my curls to form and naturally lay.  I step out the shower and scrunch out the excess water/conditioner with either an old t-shirt or microfiber towel (reduces frizz and friction on the hair).  I then apply my products

  6.   The first product I have been using is Shea Moisture curling  soufflé and curling smoothie.  I have found that I don’t need a TON of product on my hair.  I start the application at the crown, the back; and then the middle.  After I apply about a dollop (and I use that term loosely of each product I shake my head all over (because I don’t like matted curls).  And VIOLA! Im out the door!!!





NOW, one thing I have discovered is the hair that I go to sleep with under the bonnet at night, is NOT the same hair I wake up with in the morning.  I have included some pics to kind of show you what I’m working with.  I have since tried some techniques that gets my hair looking as it was the day before and with little work (or water) in the mornings.
If you wake up with DRY hair:  FIRST, you should have a moisturizing routine that seals your hair every morning and every night.  I cannot say enough that it is natural for our hair to be DRY.  If I find my hair is super dry (either from the weather or products) I simply apply some oil or some of my fav conditioner in my hair, place a shower cap and my bonnet and sleep through the night.  In the morning I simply spritz my hair with my water/oil mixture and apply some product (Shea moisture or argan oil) and it looks as it did the day before! Below are the pics after I have spritzed my hair with my water and oil concoction and after aplying the shea moisture products. The hair in the pics is after the hair has dried.






Pineappleing is another technique that many use.  I have found that my hair is a bit too short and the pony tails a bit too annoying lol.  This technique is either gathering ALL of your hair in a high pony tail and placing your bonnet over it, or making several little loose pony tails all over your head.  The idea is that the curls will be preserved as you are not laying on them.  In the morning simply take the pony tails out and moisturize and shake your head and you are good to go!!!
There are some ladies who choose to co-wash daily.  There is nothing wrong with this! You are not using the harsh shampoo everyday (that strips your hair of all nutrients).  I basically do the same thing with my spritz bottle of distilled water and oils.  It would just be to long of a process for me to co-wash my hair daily! 
For ladies with TWA’s who want their curls to pop and is to short to finger coil, there is a cool technique called quick finger coils where you simply use a hard brush and using circular motions “brush” your hair.  I have included some links to videos below. 


I hope I have helped some who were a little scared of trying the wash-n-go technique!! If there are any questions, suggestions or what have you, please feel free to comment below!!!! Have a fabulous rest of your day naturalistas!!!!

Xoxo~Nickie~

No comments:

Post a Comment