Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Diet and your hair

Your diet and your hair…

There has been buzzing about diets and hair in a lot of my natural hair online communities.  This sparked my own curiosity since it is the New Year, and of course there is always a new recycled resolution.  Mine has been not to embark on the latest diet, but to experience an overall lifestyle change.  This encompasses all areas such as better budgeting, better eating, better job etc…
I started my lifestly change by vowing to pack my lunch instead of buy my lunch when I am at work.  I figured this will not only get me to start eating healthier (since there are really no CHEAP healthy options around me!) but will also save me money.  Since going natural I can definitely without a doubt confess that I am obsessed about everything hair.  Therefore, it was only natural to see what food I could pack in lunch bag that will not only makes my insides healthy, but make my outside shine! 

How does your DIET affect your Hair?
There is more to healthy hair than loading products on—you have to watch what you put in your mouth as well.  Whatever you put into your body is displayed outward—Our skin and hair is the tattletale sign for when we have been neglecting our diet.  It is important to maintain a nutritious diet so that your body can develop healthy cells and tissues—exactly what hair is made out of!
Diet plays such a crucial role in your hair because your body requires the right amount of vitamins and minerals to create strong cells.  Remember, your hair is an extension of your inner workings. If you deprave your body or do not make smart healthy choices, your hair will suffer.  People who go on crash diets cutting out the very vitamins their body require, often report hair loss or brittle and broken hair.   

                                                     What should your diet contain?
First of all, every diet needs to have the right amount of proteins.  Proteins build cells and contain amino acids that are crucial to hair growth! These amino acids can be found in meats, fish, poultry, dairy; and eggs.  Vegetarians can utilize soy, nuts, grains and seeds.  Dieticians believe that at least 15% of your calories must come from food that is rich in protein.
Many of today’s low carb diets may lead you to reach your weight loss goal, but at what cost?  Who wants to be bald headed (said with much love) and skinny? Carbs are beneficial to the growth of body tissue and also provide the body with B vitamins (all B vitamin complexes aid hair growth).  Instead of cutting carbs completely out of your diet, opt for smart carbs.  Smart carbs could be using brown rice or couscous instead of the starchy white rice. 
Too much sugar can rob your hair of vitamin B as can refined carbs (examples of refined carbs:::sweeteners such as syrup and sugar, beverages such as beer, wine, soft drinks and non-organic100% natural juices; and canned veggies and fruits).  This also refers to sugar filled granola bars and other snacks. 

Opt for a Healthier Lunch…

The above picture is the simplest visual explanation of what your plate should be looking like.  The biggest portion should be fruits and veggies.  I suggest to start packing your lunch with this food item first, then your meat; and lastly your starches.  If you did not cook fresh veggies you can always substitute this with canned veggies.  I can easily eat an entire can of French style green beans with a serving of baked chicken (don't forget about Tuna as an option!)
My MONDAY-FRIDAY Menu
Breakfast- If you do not eat with in the first hour of waking up you will be on the cycle to gain weight.  I personally wake up STARVING.  I normally wakeup about 40 minutes earlier than I have to, turn on the news and prepare something in my juicer (normally a fruit blend), followed by a glass of water.  When I reach work I will normally have some oatmeal, farina, egg whites/toast (just one lol) and a side of fruit (banana, orange, apple).  This will normally hold me over until 12pm.  If I think I am hungry I normally will drink a glass of water first.  More than half the time you think you are hungry, you are really thirsty. 
Lunch- Whatever I had for dinner.  This normally includes a protein (baked pork chops, baked chicken) that is well seasoned (my island vibes lol) and a veggie.  If it includes a starch it will be healthy (couscous or whipped sweet potatoes as an example)
Snack- I LOVE to snack which makes the after lunch hours pretty difficult.  I always bring nuts or a side salad to work.  You can also have some low fat string cheese, yogurt, wheat thins, cheese crackers or other healthy options. 
Dinner- Looks prettymuch like lunch.  If I do not want to cook I would whip up some tuna or chicken salad.
***Be careful with the amount of salt that you put in your food--salt makes you bloat becuase it makes you retain water***

!!!!!::::WATER:::!!!!!!
                                                         YOU CAN DO IT!
I CAN NOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT WATER IS!!! I have written a separate post on the importance of water (http://curlykinkyqt.blogspot.com/2011/12/hi-naturalistas-as-human-beings-we-are.html)
It is important that you drink at least 2 liters of water daily to keep your body hydrated.  During my online searches I can across an interesting tidbit.  You are supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces daily!  Therefore, if you weigh 200 pounds, you should be drinking a minimum of 100 ounces of water daily.  I have personally done this and Let me TELL YOU!!! My hair and skin have NEVER looked better! Once you cut those sodas and fatty, sugar filled juices out of your diet you will see such a difference!!
Make yourself a personal pledge (or with a buddy or online community) to eat and drink your way to longer, healthier hair!!

No comments:

Post a Comment