Monday, January 9, 2012

Hair Typing....Evil or Necessary???


So--After all of the hair typing charts I have come across I can def say that I LOVE this chart!!! Simplicity and all!  Based on THIS chart I would say that I am a 3B-3C. 

In my natural hair groups and even on youtube there are many many people who are against hair typing.  I personally don't see an issue with hair typing or just living your life without worrying about the "hair type" God gave you..... 

To hair type....

1.  Many products are made for specific hair types.  When you are researching your product it will normally tell you what type it works best on.  This tip can be useful.  There are many products that some RAVE about and just fall flat for me.  Reason being, the hair type that the hair was meant to glamorize is not mine lol. 

2. Provides newly or seasoned naturals a wealth of information very quickly.  With the above pictured chart, there really is no way to go wrong with hair typing.  Once you have your confirmed hair type, all you have to do is google "hair products for 3c hair" and you should be bombarded with PRODUCT OVERLOAD.  The easiest way to hair type is to pull either one strand loose and place it on a blank piece of white paper (so that there is a contrast), or look in mirror (without your hair being manipulated, no gel, no brush, nothing!) 

3.  When I hair typed for the first time I DID learn things about my hair...easily frizzed, easily broken...and even some hair care tips...


Not to hair type...

1.  You may not have one pattern in your hair.  Many women experience multiple patterns in their hair.

2. May have you become OBSESSED with hair typing and not focusing on other issues, such as hair porosity/density. 

3. SO MUCH information at once can be super confusing! 

4.  You may hair type to early!! My curl pattern became more noticeable as my hair grew out.  If you are a transitioner/recently BC'ed you should concentrate on moisture and how to seal your hair. 

Conclusion

I really don't have anything against hair typing.  I feel that hey, if the information is out there that is specific to one hair type....why not read it...If it sucks than you lost 10 minutes of your life that you can never get back.  But hey, you never know! 

*Below are some sites that also talk about hair typing*





No comments:

Post a Comment