Thursday, January 26, 2012

Tips and Tricks to moisturize Braids, Twists and other protective styles…

Tips and Tricks to moisturize Braids, Twists and other protective styles…
Happy Thursday Naturalistas!  I have had a few questions on how to properly moisturize your twists, braids (extensions or natural) and other protective styling.  I have researched endlessly to hopefully help you in your quest to obtain hydrated twists and braided styles.  In my natural hair journey, I've learned that TECHNIQUE can be just as important as products, so therefore I wanted to discuss what you should be doing before twist or braid your hair. 
I have posted some blog entries discussing the importance of SEALING your hair.  To backtrack, the most effective way to SEAL your hair is to apply water (I prefer distilled because I do not have a water filer; and I have hard water) to your hair followed up by your favorite oil.  However, let’s not get it twisted, WATER IS THE BEST HYDRATOR FOR YOUR HAIR…Many of my natural sistas state that their hair can be as oily as chicken grease, yet still be coarse and brittle.  My first question is always the same: Do you apply water to your hair before the oil? 
~~~~> Refer to this blog entry the discussing the importance of SEALING your hair and the reasons behind the science!
One thing I have learned about my hair is that I have HOLY SHRINKAGE! If I apply a product to it sopping wet hair and then follow up with twists they will reach the top of my brow line, if I twist on “damp” hair the twists will reach to my nose/upper lip.  
The best way I have found to have moisturized twists is to apply a bit of Shea moisture curling smoothie to my hair after it has been freshly washed (paying close attention to your ends being that this is the oldest part of your hair) and allow my hair to air dry a little.  Once it is almost dry I spritz a bit with my oil/distilled water combination, apply a bit of Shea Moisture curling souflee/smoothie and twist.  If I prefer a more tamed twisted look I will flat twist the first couple of inches to my head and do the rest of the twist loose. 
Another option is to do a DC (deep conditioner) the day before you twist.  If you can handle it, I advise to sleep with the “*baggie” method the night before so that you can start twists on super hydrated hair! 
****BAGGIE METHOD—for those of you that are unaware with this method, it is basically applying a deep conditioner or oil treatment to your hair before bed.  You can apply to either dry hair or slightly damp hair, your choice. Once the product is applied, place a plastic shower cap and wrap a scarf around it.  This method is awesome!  I personally can sleep with this comfortably!  ****

Depending on the time you keep your twists/braids (and hair health in general) in will determine how often you need to moisturize.  You DO NOT need to moisturize every day as this will cause frizz, fuzz and further shrinkage.  Personally, I try and keep my hair twisted for 5-6 days washing on Saturday.  Since I start with very well conditioned hair, I only need to moisturize maybe on my 2nd and 4th day into the style.  What I do is apply a bit of water/oil to my hands and smooth over my strands. I then may follow up with a “glaze” of either Shea Moisture curling souflee/smoothie or Eco-Styler Gel (greatly reduces frizz and fuzz). 
If you continue to experience dry, brittle hair consider taking down the twists and applying a Protein DC (Mayo, eggs, honey) and let that simmer.  If your hair takes FOREVER to get wet, then you may have a problem with your hair porosity or its PH balance. 
Diet and WATER intake are VERY important to having hydrated tresses.  Remember…what goes on inside your body is displayed outward…
Side Note::: One misconception I normally see is women applying the oil or moisturizer directly to their scalp.  Our scalp produces its own oil called sebum, which is a natural hair conditioner.  The “conditioner” is then distributed down the hair strand.  Now, when hair is straight it is distributed evenly because there is nothing hindering the distribution of the oil from the beginning to the end.  Now, this is a little different for kinky/curly hair because the twists and turns of the hair strand may get the oil to be stuck and not hydrate the whole strand.  WITH ALL OF THAT SAID LOL, apply the conditioner/oil starting at the ends and working your way up (your ends are the oldest part of your hair, therefore the most fragile!):::
Below are some links to sites that provide helpful information about hydrating protective styles!  I hope this information has helped!  Stay nappy ladies and have a great day J
http://naturalicioushair.com/2011/11/29/protective-styling-helps-your-natural-hair-reach-its-longest-length-plus-3-more-hair-growth-tips/

No comments:

Post a Comment